The heat is almost on so now’s the time to plan for a cool summer road trip. Whether you’re going with friends or family, near or far, there’s nothing like hitting the road for an epic summer trip. National parks, the coast, big cities, Main Street USA and fun/silly tourist destinations are all waiting. The road is yours.
Once you’ve scoured the map and picked your perfect trip, take some time to make sure you’re prepared.
Here are some quick tips to help ensure a smooth journey:
• Plan ahead … but don’t be afraid to be spontaneous and go off the beaten path.
• Check weather sites to see what your driving conditions will be.
• Fill a cooler with drinks and bring lots of snacks.
• Brush up on road trip games: Create fun memories by keeping everyone in the car engaged.
• Put your phone/tablet on double-duty: Use its camera to capture pictures of the trip and load up some movies, music or games.
• Try local eateries as opposed to chain restaurants.
• Bring a first-aid kit. Just in case.
• Take turns driving so everyone stays alert.
• Make sure your vehicle is in road-worthy shape: Check the oil and all fluids, battery, spark plugs, air filter and tires … especially the tires.
• Check tire pressure at least once a month — this takes about five minutes. Refer to the vehicle’s owner’s manual or placard on the driver’s door to determine proper tire pressure. Tire pressure should be checked when the tires are cold.
OK, now you’re ready to roll.